Used Bread Machines: Why They're Great & What to Look For





If you're thinking about getting into bread making but not sure if it's right for you, I highly encourage you to stop by your local thrift store and see if they have any used bread machines. They're cheap, and if you make the bread right, they pay for themselves after just a few loaves. 

Two years ago I went to a yard sale and bought an old bread machine on a whim. It cost me five dollars and was made by West Bend, manufactured in Wisconsin. I discovered that it was made around 1995 and one of earlier machines out there.


A basic West Bend bread machine just like my own for $10 at a thrift store. 

I downloaded an archived manual and learned how to make my own bread. With some trial and a lot of errors, I figured out a way to make a great loaf that my family loved. Making my own bread was also cheaper than buying it at the grocery store, even taking into account those cheap one-dollar loaves that aren't exactly healthy. 

Since I learned how to make my own bread, I almost never buy bread anymore, unless it's something I haven't learned how to make yet, like sour dough. 

Since that time I've acquired a second machine which I use more often than the first because it's quieter. It's a Sanyo Bread Factory and from the same era as the old West Bend. Both machines work like a dream and they're over 20 years old. 

Is the bread machine clean on the inside and the outside? 

There are tons of used machines out there, some barely used. In my rural small town, I've counted eight machines in two thrift stores in one weekend, none of which are over $15. 

I got my Sanyo last year at a thrift store this way. This one also cost me five dollars and was still in the box, with all the packaging included. 



The beauty of a bread machine is that you can put the ingredients in, turn it on your chosen setting, and leave it alone until it's done. You can add whole grains like flax, oats, and barley. You can add nuts. You can add dried fruits. And the machine does all the work. You can try to copy your favorite artisan bread from the store for pennies on the dollar. 

I've calculated that it costs me about 75 cents to make a loaf of bread, like the one in this post, whereas, if I were to buy it in the store, it would cost about four to five dollars. 

What to Look For

When you're looking at used bread machines, you have make sure that the basic parts are in good working order and/or included.
  • Look at the power cord. Is it in good shape? Is the protective covering broken or torn off? If yes, then leave the machine and move on. 
  • Does the bread machine have a removable loaf pan? If not, pass it up. Checking eBay, some bread machine loaf pans can cost up to $42, so buying the machine without a pan may not be worth it. 
  • Is the kneading paddle in the loaf pan or is it missing? Now this is a part that you could buy online and not break the bank. A universal one is listed on eBay for less than three dollars but even universal paddles won't fit every machine. Definitely research the parts before you buy and decide whether you want to spend extra money for it. A new kneading paddle for my Sanyo would cost at least $13 and one for my West Bend would cost $15 to replace. 
Bread machine loaf pan. The kneading paddle is at the bottom.
  • Take out the loaf pan and look at the machine inside. Is it clean? Is it littered with burned crumbs? Is it coated with gunk? It's ok if it's a bit dusty, but a coating of filth may not be worth it because you cannot dunk a machine into the sink. It must be carefully cleaned with a damp sponge.
Bread machine after pan removed. The inside and the cooking coil are clean.
  • If the tag doesn't say it's been tested, ask an employee to plug it in and turn it on. In fact, even if it's been tested, I recommend you ask to test it yourself. 
  • Check the overall construction of the bread machine. Does it feel sturdy?  Are there pieces of plastic or metal broken off? 
  • The lids are often removable. Don't panic if you open a bread machine and the lid comes off. They are usually made to be removed for easier cleanup. 

An Oster machine with manual inside. This is worth the price. 
If the machine has a manual included, that's a definite bonus. 

A used bread machine is one of those kitchen tools I highly recommend because it won't cost you much, and you have the opportunity to see if it's right for you without sacrificing a good chunk of your paycheck. Both of mine were purchased used and still going strong.

Don't be afraid to buy an older model. They can be tanks when it comes to productivity.

As with all used electronics and household appliances, always give the bread machine a full inspection before you buy and ask to talk to the person who tested it if possible. 

Have you tried using a bread machine? How did it work out for you?
Follow me on Instagram and Twitter.

Comments

Popular Posts