Cheesy Leftover Chicken Alfredo Sauce: No Cream, No Problem



Got just a little leftover chicken? Got milk but no cream? No problem!

This recipe tastes as good (or even better than) restaurant alfredo sauce.

Note: I do not like parsley, so this recipe doesn't call for it. Obviously, I can't stop you from adding the devil's grass if you want, just never tell me you did.

Ingredients:
  • 2 tbsp olive or canola oil. 
  • 1/4 cup butter or margarine. 
  • 2 cloves fresh garlic or 1 tbsp of jarred, minced garlic
  • One cup of milk (whole, or low-fat)
  • 1/2 tbsp arrow root powder or corn starch (I used arrow root powder successfully)
  • 1/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese (I used Frigo brand)
  • 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella 
  • 1 tsp ground paprika
  • salt and ground black pepper to taste
  • leftover chicken, diced. I had just one small breast. I cooked this in my toaster oven, covered with foil, on 300 until it was fully baked. About 20 minutes.
Instructions:
  1. Melt butter in a sauce pan on medium heat with oil. Don't let it brown or boil. Add the garlic and stir for two minutes.
  2. Whisk in the arrow root powder until the butter and oil are slightly brown and thick. 
  3. Whisk in the milk until it starts to simmer. Reduce heat so it simmers but doesn't boil. This should take about two or three minutes. 
  4. Stir in the parmesan and mozzarella until sauce is thickened. If it has the consistency of glue paste, it's too thick. Add a few tablespoons of milk, until it's a creamy (not watery) consistency.
  5. Mix into the diced chicken and pasta and serve.
Butter and milk substitutes: 

 You can use any number of milk substitutes like soy milk, rice milk and even the new Ripple brand (pea milk), which doesn't taste like peas. I haven't yet tried it, but when I do I'll give my honest opinion. I wouldn't use almond milk in this recipe because the flavor may not mesh well with the others.

You can always substitute coconut oil or coconut butter for the dairy butter, as well. Other healthy, edible butter substitutes are shea butter (yes, you read that right!) and cocoa butter.

Extras:

If I have some mushrooms I need to use, I'll throw those in with the butter before adding the milk. I enjoy the taste and the mushrooms add a bit of extra vitamin D.

I forgot to take a picture of my food, so here's a photo of Sean Connery stuffing his face with pasta.

Enjoy!
Feel free to check out my Instagram page here:

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts